- (Due to time-constraints and the need to fulfill projects already slated for publication, we are not accepting manuscripts at this time.)
We accept non-fiction manuscripts in the following genres: the Christian life, theology, philosophy, culture, history, social doctrine, or in general, anything pertaining to the Catholic faith.
We do not readily accept works of fiction. However, if an author has an established record of publishing fiction we may give it consideration.
The following are some points to consider before sending manuscripts:
- Provide a brief summary explaining the nature of the work.
- Please follow the Arouca Press sytle guide which will be provided to the prospective author. Some of the points are given below.
- The manuscript must be sent in a properly formatted and organized Word document. We will work on the overal ms but we will not accept a work which is disorganized.
- It is a good idea to own a copy of the 16th or 17th edition of the Chicago Manual of Style (CMS).
- The manuscript must be thoroughly proofread before submission. This includes, but not limited to, the following: the manuscript, especially any footnotes or endnotes, must follow the most recent editions of the CMS; it should have been spellchecked; biblical citations should follow a consistent and recognized set of abbreviations; long URLs should not be included in any notes (refer to material by author, title, website, and date of publication). If we are interested in your manuscript but see that it needs more work on this mechanical level, we will return it to you for further polishing.
- Please use en dashes, em dashes, and hyphens properly. This saves us so much time before we prepare the ms for the typesetter. As an example, here is the section on en-dashes from the CMS (16th edition, 6.78, pp. 331–332):
- "The principal use of the en dash is to connect numbers and, less often, words. When continuing numbers—such as dates, times and page numbers—it signifies up to and including (or through). For the sake of parallel construction, the word to, never the en dash, should be used if the word from precedes the first element in such a pair; similarly, and, never the en dash, should be used if between precedes the first element."
- Provide at least 2 recommendations from experts (established authors/academics/scholars in the field). This is not to sound pretentious but to ensure that Arouca Press keeps a high level of professionalism.
- Note that we are very much a small, family-run operation (as the owner, I still have a day job which consumes much of my time and energy). If we decide to publish your work we will of course come to an agreement with you regarding compensation.
- Once the title has been approved for publication, know that we take every work seriously and will provide the utmost care to create a professional book that meets the highest standards.
Send all prospective manuscripts to email@example.com with the appropriate subject title. Please allow 4–6 weeks for our response.